The Petersburg Courthouse, also known as Hustings Courthouse, was built between 1837 and 1839. It served as Confederate headquarters during the Siege of Petersburg. On April 20, 1861, local volunteers formed in its square to enlist. On June 9, 1864, its bell sounded the warning for the local militia to meet the advancing Union cavalry.
During the Siege, soldiers from both sides could see the courthouse clock from the trenches and they set their timepieces by it. The clock tower was a favorite target of Union artillerists, who poured an estimated 20,000 shells into the city. When Petersburg fell on April 3, 1865 a Union flag waved above it.
Last Updated: 08/24/2020
4725 Whitehill Bouelvard
Prince George, VA 238750.8 MI
403 E Roslyn Road
Colonial Heights, VA 238340.93 MI
2200 Waterside Road
Prince George, VA 238750.98 MI
931 South Ave
Colonial Heights, VA 238341.04 MI
800 Southpark Blvd
Colonial Heights, VA 238341.32 MI